Saturday, 4 March 2017

Practising Gratitude


When I'm having a bad time, I can often find it quite difficult to see the wood for the trees and instead find myself getting bogged down with small, inconsequential details that don't help in the long run.
This year I've been determined to change my mindset, and actually stick to it. Now, I'm not a Negative Nora by any stretch of the imagination, I can very easily find pleasures in the smallest of things, but I do overthink and blow things out of all proportion at times.

One of the best ways of counteracting that (I've found) is practising gratitude. Now, it's all terribly fashionable to be 'grateful' these days, but in all honesty, this small act really can do wonders for your mood. Jotting down a few small things you're grateful for in a day really can turn your day around and make you realise things aren't so bad after all.

The perfect first cup of tea of the morning, getting a parking space, someone paying you a compliment, being awake for both the sunrise and sunset, nabbing a bargain online - all these small things can mount up until you actually find yourself reframing your day and going to bed feeling like you've actually achieved something and you're not a total failure.

I've been trying to do 10 minutes of meditation before bed (I'm using the 'Headspace' app) and then once I'm suitably relaxed, I pop 3 things I'm grateful for into my Kikki K Thankful Journal. 
Admittedly I don't always find the time/remember, but when I do I feel positive and accomplished.

Another idea is writing down something good that's happened to you that week and popping it into a jar, then at the end of the year taking it out and reading them all - which I think is a lovely idea!

Do you find practising gratitude helps?
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I think this is such a lovely idea. I used to do the writing positive things and putting them in a jar, and it's such a lovely momento to have now. I'm glad you've reminded me of it, I might try it again!
    It's a good idea using the headspace app before bed too- I've been trying to read for at least 15 mins before going to bed, no matter how late it is or how tired I am, but this has varying success at leading to a restful night's sleep depending on what I've been reading!
    www.whatlisadidnext.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you Lisa, reading before bed can be much more relaxing but sometimes it isn't the case! Writing down all the little things to be grateful for and putting them in a jar can definitely help us feel a bit more positive!
      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig